After moving house, writing a book, coding a DVD, making furniture and getting over illness, I finally managed to get a mix posted again. Hopefully, things will continue to improve, and I'll get time to get some more up over the next few weeks...
A selection of generally calm, mainly vocal pieces that reflect some kind of beauty. Hopefully an ideal antidote to the stresses of Winter.
Includes Finnish herding calls, a song written by a 13th century king (Alfonso X, 'El Sabio'), Canadian-Sufi semi-New-Age fusion, goth, 1950s vocal harmony, 1980s Soul, the film soundtrack composer Jocelyn Pook (famous for the 'Masked Ball' piece in Stanley Kubrick's 'Eyes Wide Open'), David Lynch, Mika (of 'Big Girls You Are Beautiful' fame) and more...
Jocelyn Montgomery (who sings over David Lynch's birdsong soundscape on Vridissima) was a member of Miranda Sex Garden, whose other members went on to form Mediaeval Baebes. On this track, she is singing a piece by Hildegard von Bingen, from the 12th century.
- Mediaeval Baebes - Umlahi
- Ensemble Unicorn (Alfonso X - El Sabio) - Virgen, Madre Gloriosa
- Dead Can Dance - Persian Love Song
- Declan de Barra - Leaves In The Autumn
- Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan - Shadow
- Cathy Berberian (john Cage) - A Flower
- Susanne Rosenberg - Vallatar fran Gammelboning (Herding Calls)
- Gjallahorn - Kulning (Calling)
- Swans - Still A Child
- Bat For Lashes - The Big Sleep
- Mika - Over My Shoulder
- David Lynch and Jocelyn Montgomery - Vridisssima
- Jocelyn Pook - Forever Without End
- Amal Murkus - Ya Oud
- Meredith Monk - Cave Song
- Jeff Buckley - Corpus Christi Carol
- PJ Harvey and John Parrish - Girl
- Simon & Garfunkel - Scarborough Fair Canticle
- Fleet Foxes - Tiger Mountain Peasant Song
- Bjork - Pneumonia
- Neville Brothers - With God On Our Side
- Antony and the Johnsons - Dust and Water
- The Fleetwoods - Unchained Melody